Friday, July 22, 2011

Great Grandma's Sex (Ed) Book

A couple years back, I wrote about my great grandmother's amazing career as the first female medical illustrator in the U.S. - and her later roles helping sort out the juvenile justice system in the U.S. Along the way, she managed to pen the first - and maybe only - sex ed book written from the perspective of the fetus (the fetus being my grandma's older brother, who was in great grandma's tum when she wrote it). I finally got my hands on a 1926 edition of How I Came to Be, the autobiography of an unborn infant - but you can all read and download it from the folks at Google Books who managed to scan the Boston Medical Library's 1916 version (they got theirs in 1917 - so cool!).



Her husband also had a bit of a wild professional path. Before becoming a surgeon who lectured about things like recurrent nephrolithiasis he was head coach of the UNC football team (1907)!

3 comments:

Rebeccak said...

Wow! This is amazing - your great grandparents sound like absolutely incredible people!

Joy said...

This is so cool and strange in the most fantastic way possible!

Office Of Johnston said...

Awesome family history!