The Art (and Science) of Shaving

I bought myself a safety razor last week because I thought it looked cool. However, when a gal has 20/1000 vision (or worse) without contacts and has been shaving her legs for two decades with less care than a child going at a bowl of cake batter with a spatula, "safety" is the last word I would have recommended. 

Here is a scientific attempt at more precise shaving techniques - but even more terrifying! The British Pathe guys shot this at a research center in Isleworth, Middlesex, England in 1959 - and luckily, the camera crew stuck around to capture some ladies who got to (less perilously) test out shampoo.

(His arm is wired so they could measure his strokes. Seems that someone could have just counted instead of trying to electrocute the guy. But their research - that I highly question - showed that a man removes an average of SEVEN meters of hair each time he shaves!).


2 comments

  1. I have had a couple of very old apartments and one house that came with a "saftey" blade disposal slot in the medicine cabinet. You just push them in, out of sight out of mind I guess! Hate to come across those in bath remodel!

  2. Pralinka says:

    these photos are so funny :)

    By the way, I really like your blog style, it's unique and I read your blog so often and I just wonder..if we could follow each other.. But even if your answer is “no” I’ll be still your reader ♥

    with love,
    http://chocarome.blogspot.com/