This Morning's Ridiculously Fortuitous Coffee Run


On a leisurely morning coffee run in SoHo this morn, I saw this puppy in the window of a sample sale. I popped in, expecting the normal four-figure price tag and subsequent serotonin dive, but there was no such sticker shock and/or kick in the gut!  Only internal squeals of joy and what might have been the world's fastest luxury goods transaction (followed by a mini leap as I left the store). The thing was a downright steal (and it has the most amazing stripes I've ever seen).



This tag indicates that it's from the early '40s - and offers evidence of the company's (then still owned by the Vuitton family) highly dubious alliances and store locations during WWII. But another tag, thankfully, indicates that the original owner bought it at Saks & Company, Fifth Avenue, New York.


It's all hand painted...


...and the lining is beautifully unstained and intact.


I still can barely breathe.

17 comments

  1. wow what a fabulous find!
    Lucky girl!!
    xx
    callie

  2. Jeanne says:

    My heart is racing for you! Great find!!

    Jeanne :)

  3. Whats the magic number!
    Great Find!!!


    Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

  4. JWC says:

    So jealous... the stripes are fantastic

  5. I am positively pavlovian at the mere sight. Amazing!

  6. beyond jealous. congrats!

  7. fuck yes you did. frankly, i'm jealous.

  8. JMW says:

    What a great find, lucky you!

  9. jeff says:

    And you even spotted that beauty BEFORE you were caffeinated. Amazing

  10. Reese says:

    My heart is all thumpy for you; that is gorgeous!! Such a lucky find; congratulations and enjoy it!

  11. Great find! Totally makes the run worth while! Wish I found treasures like that on my runs!

    Have a great week!
    Jamie Herzlinger

  12. What a score! A LV or Goyard trunk are currently on my Lust List! I don’t think I have ever commented before but I admire your unique style and gift of collecting! Have a wonderful weekend. xx

  13. As a vuitton-o-holic I'm GREEN with envy!! And the striping on your case is fab!.....I found a 1890's LV steamer trunk for $50...and I'm repeating that to myself so as not to be too jealous of your amazing find *winks* Vanna