Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Dad - A War Bond Baby


Perhaps the cutest piece of war propaganda ever, this photo of my grandma and dad appeared in The Seattle Times in May 1945.  It reads:

"WAIT TILL MY DADDY, Capt. Willard Porter Hovey, Jr., over in the Philippines, hears that you've bought a double share of bonds in this 7th War Loan Drive to speed his return...he hasn't seen me yet (my name is Porter Lamson Hovey) but I'm only 2 1/2 months old...Mother, whose name was Armene Lamson, and I, are staying with grandpa and grandma, Dr. and Mrs. Otis Floyd Lamson, counting the time till Dad has a first look at me."

6 comments:

Aron said...

That's some seriously sweet propaganda. Kind of heartbreaking too.

Hollister H. Hovey said...

I know. Thank goodness "daddy" actually made it home!

Karena said...

An adorable image and so very poignant....

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Empress of the Eye. You will love it!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Joanna Goddard said...

that is amazing! also so touching that his father hadn't seen him until he was months old...he must have been DYING to meet him. really incredible, so awesome that you still have this clipping!

Karen + Sara said...

cute! happy veterans day!

Penelope Bianchi said...

Beyond Brilliant! Who saved that divine clipping!?!

BRAVO!!!!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!

Penelope