Thursday, August 26, 2010

VMI - Before the High and Tight Era

I've been prodding a co-worker to grow out his hair a bit so some small fluffy bits would poke out if he wore a baseball hat.  He's absolutely against this and came in with yet another very short haircut that I compared to a high and tight.  You look like you've stepped right out of VMI (the Virginia Military Institute, which sits roughly 100 feet from the shaggy hair capital of the world, Washington & Lee, my alma mater), I said.  This made him very mad - and it made him even more mad when I showed him pictures of modern day cadets.  But then I found these.  Minus collar boy above, these guys almost look like hippies - or W&L students.

Cadets circa 1920

New Year's Eve 1893

3 comments:

Trailer Trad said...

Wonderful pics. -VMI, Huh? Super school and Virginia's a great place to study and live, isn't it? -Especially The Piedmont and Shenandoah Valley areas.

Reggie Darling said...

Lots of cousins and relatives of mine went to VMI. They are still mad that it was forced to go co-ed. Great photos, and I always love a man in a uniform...

Plank on Frame said...

What was it exactly about the modern day cadets that made him "mad"?