Saturday, May 1, 2010

Scenes from NOLA | James H. Cohen + Sons

The travels continue! I'm in New Orleans for work (Digestive Disease Week!), while thousands of others are here for Jazz Fest - and major efforts to stave off environmental disaster (he situation seems pretty dire - and so, so sad).

I had a little down time yesterday, took a quick stroll through the French Quarter and came across some seriously beautiful weaponry at James H. Cohen & Sons. What excellent use of peg board!

(On the docket tonight is a fancy awards ceremony for gastroenterologists (and a few PR people) - on the 50 yard line at the Super Dome! Pretty cool).


James H. Cohen & Sons
437 Royal Street
New Orleans
800-535-1853

3 comments:

Aron said...

Great find.
I loved New Orleans when we visited last year. Listening to the preservation hall jazz band was a highlight if you get a chance.
Unbelievable the devastation that area has experienced in the last few years.

gabriellebegue said...

So happy to see my hometown on here. I remember going--or more like dragged--to that shop with my collector dad. There's so much in New Orleans that I think you'd love, so you have to go back some day and really do it up!

Marcelo said...

A few years ago I had a very interesting conversation with Mr. James Cohen about duel pistols. He took the time to give me a thorough explanation about these pistols. Ever since, I’ve been looking forward to visiting his store again and discuss the purchase of either French or British duel pistols.

I finally made it back to New Orleans for the first time since 2005 on 7/4/10. The first store I visited on 7/5 was James Cohen & Sons. Unfortunately, I was treated very badly by Mr. Jerry Cohen. He first almost refused to shake my hand, he then proceeded to treat me and my wife in an incredibly rude manner and with total lack of courtesy or respect.

After the conversation I had a few years ago with his father, Mr. James Cohen, I must say that I’m incredible surprised.

While at their store I noticed they have a large number of 1909 Argentine bayonets for sale. Most of these bayonets are rather common. Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co. manufactured at least 180,000 of this model bayonets. However, a few smaller runs for small military units were also produced. Consequently, some of these bayonets have different serial number nomenclatures and can be extremely rare. I explained this to Mr. Jerry Cohen and asked him if I could somehow look at the serial numbers of those bayonets they have for sale. My request apparently bothered him.

They lost a customer for absolutely no good reason.

Marcelo S. Parravicini