Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shoot!

The utterly cool ladies from The Society invited Porter and me to take out some vengeance on a few targets last night at the Westside Pistol & Rifle Range (which happens to be located in an office building basement next to a strip club, making West 20th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues the ultimate block for boys - and girls - to behave badly). We continued to celebrate The Art of the Hunt at Rye House, where we washed down our Beef Wellington sandwiches with 23 year old Zacapa rum.

I've never been able to wink - my whole face scrunches into something resembling a palsy victim - so it was quite exhausting to keep the target in my sights the whole time. I didn't want to be a wuss with a blacked out right eye on my safety glasses, so I left with a face cramp. But it was worth it. I really don't get how those biathaloners do it.

We shot semi-automatic .22 rifles.

50 rounds.

This was my attempt from furthest away. All I have to say: Don't cross me.


Westside Pistol & Rifle Range

20 West 20th Street New York, NY 10011

212.929.7287

13 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

Gracious girls!
What a shot, you go!
L.

Caroline said...

What?! That is in a basement in Manhattan? I hit the clay pigeon first time I picked up a shot gun, that's the only thing that is threatening about me... I think I will return for the weekend, flea market?

prairynation.wordpress.com said...

My boyfriend has been teaching me to shoot from his bathroom window. Like a true sniper (by the by, he lives on a farm). I never knew how much I would love it. Did the two of you give lots of thought to your shooting outfits?

katiedid said...

I promise not to sneek up behind you. Looks like a "blast". (Sorry)

Laura [What I Like] said...

You really decimated that target! Very impressive.

Dandy said...

Personally, I am against guns, and have vowed in my lifetime to never touch one. I hope I never have to. This is not a criticism of you at all,please don't take it that way, just an observation of differences.

Hollister H. Hovey said...

Believe me, it was a strange feeling -- helped exponentially by the controlled environment and the non-living target.

Keith said...

Dang Hollister - You seem like my kind of girl - a good lookin', straight shooter who drinks my favorite rum

Laguna Beach Trad said...

That is extremely cute.

Author said...

Very Thelma & Louise. There's something oddly sexy about girls and guns... not sure what it is.

propriatress said...

ooo la la......I love Shooting too. not at anything but cans and big slabs of paper, mind you. It is fun!

Grrrrr. It must be the dichotomy of a,um, (clears throat) soft helpless woman holding the Great Equalizer....
Go Go Annie Oakley!

Drake said...

If you like shooting with both eyes open you should try trap shooting.

m11.in said...

nice and impressible blog.
..................................