Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti Red Cross Text-Message-a-Month Club

Thank goodness for the survival stories, but as we all know, we've only seen the tip of the iceberg of this tragedy.  The 60 Minutes piece last night was particularly - and appropriately - gruesome: bodies in heaps, bodies exploding from decay, amputations performed on children with hacksaws and vodka.  I wish there was some way to photograph the dead and tag the bodies so that, despite the current need for mass graves, there would be some way for the survivors to have a semblance of closure down the line.  Given the need for Civil War-era surgical techniques, that's clearly a logistical impossibility.  And it's all just heartbreaking.

We've all probably sent many $10 90999/HAITI texts to the Red Cross by now, but it would be great to keep up the practice - even after the news crews go home.  Maybe a few texts for each pay check?  That's my plan.  

(Above: The first oil painting I ever did - in 1994 - based on a tiny, grainy black and white image of the Presidential Palace in Port-au-Prince that I found in my '80s-era World Book Encyclopedia.  Last week was the first time I actually saw it in its full grandeur - in the before shots illustrating its utter destruction after the quake. My god, it was beautiful).

3 comments:

Dale P.L. Chadwick said...

That's really admirable what you plan on doing to help after the story is out of our consciousness and a great idea.

jones said...

That is a wonderful plan--giving a little each paycheck. My intention has been to give to different agencies serving different areas of need once a month. Already gave to Red Cross and Drs. w/o Borders; next is UNICEF and so on. $50 to each organization is not much, but in the aggregate it does add up. Thanks for reminding us that the need will not end in January. Mary

Erik said...

I have been to Haiti a few times and it is going to get worse there I am afraid. There is not enough anti-biotics in the world to handle the cholera outbreak that is bound to happen there.

My artist friend and all around great man, Milfort Bruno lived as did my friends at the Olofsson Hotel. The old wooden structures survived but the new cinder ones fell.

Quite sad but I am working on some stuff with good people and hopefully I can do some stuff for the folks there.