A Frontier Holiday at the Hoveys' | The Set Up

Porter and I spent the last week and a half transforming the loft into a Frontier Holiday wonderland for what turned out to be a wild, rompin', whiskey and Root swiggin' costume extravaganza.  Here's some photo evidence of the calm before the storm:

Above: The whiskey and Root station.  We served drinks in mason jars...

Our 9' tree - decorated only in white lights and gold pine cones...(we also swapped out the black mantelpiece for this mahogany one, the venetian mirror for the gold leaf and the zebra for the cow...and added oodles of cotton and all of our outdoorsey accessories)...

A close up on the mantel...

The result of Porter turning into a baking machine...

Our great friend Rob "Bobby Ack" Ackley spend hours upon hours marinating and dehydrating meat for this incredible jerky bar - tofu, venison and beef.

A new cotton-filled home for Swan #2 -- a fitting compliment for the jerky bar.
(Photos by Porter Hovey)

11 comments

  1. THe jerkey bar is brilliant, and the swan's cotton home. Does my Natural History heart good.

  2. This is amazing! I've been meaning to try Root. They don't yet sell it in Illinois; I guess I'll have to break down and order some!

  3. trip says:

    Looks unbelievable (as always).

  4. James says:

    The Hovey sisters never cease to amaze! What a wonderful holiday idea'

  5. catbird says:

    all partied should have a jerky bar. well played.

  6. so magickal, your photos always inspire me!

  7. What an incredible spread. And tofu jerkey? Did I read that correctly?

    I now officially feel like a holiday slouch.

  8. Breenuh says:

    Wow, this is amazing. I love the whiskey bar!!!

  9. celsound says:

    Looking at the whiskey bar brings to mind "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" and "The Long Riders." I'm transported.

    What's that white jar on the right? Some sort of tasty imported condiment?