A Break from Bohemia | Dressin' Like it's 1890

Today's NY Times shows the gents how Alexander McQueen, Ann Demeulemeester, Woolrich Woolen Mills and the like can help them dress like they did 120 years ago - all in tintypes by David Sokosh.  So cool.

(NoteAs much as I go on about my love of men's boots, they are an accessory most certainly only meant for their original purposes - hunting, mucking, riding - not urban prowling or marching through the office. About a year ago, I saw a a gent exit Ralph Lauren corporate HQ on Madison Ave. in virtually that exact outfit from the top photo. It was quite a beautiful costume, but a costume, nonetheless. That said, I think we ladies can get away with modified versions of it all. We're lucky that way).

10 comments

  1. Curious: in all the photographs the bottom button of the single breasted waistcoat (vest) is shown buttoned rather than open.

  2. oh these chaps are just so smashing!

  3. j'taimee says:

    i loved this article - and i swear they referenced you two at least once....

  4. Kristen says:

    I wish all men dressed like this.

  5. those were the days- Now it seems like imitation, sadly so. la

  6. I am a little confused. Are we supposed to actually refer to ourselves as hipsters now, or is that still a term of derision?

    I mean, i have a moustache et al., but i'm not sure if a buy in to the whole "take back the the epithet" from guys who yell "hey, hipster douche" at whenever i am with other guys who now have moustaches.

  7. Bill, I just don't know.

    The hipster hatred has to end somewhere. Everything currently attributed to the male hipster look is sold at J.Crew. It's getting to the point where you can't wear a plaid shirt or boat shoes without being maligned as part of the horrible, spoiled, creative, ironic faux underclass. I in no way think that most "hipsters" are actually chopping wood on farms, but some are and about 80% of the people I've met in Brooklyn are from the Midwest (mainly Ohio) or the South where this stuff wasn't considered ironic. As long as guys aren't wearing stone washed dad jeans, straight black leather jackets that cover their butts and rubber soled black shoes, everyone should just breathe a sigh of relief and stop wasting energy defining the level of irony in everyone's outfit. Unless a guy goes as far as wearing English riding boots and britches to a gallery opening.

  8. I get it H.

    Btw, you might know this: Can I just walk in to Holland & Holland's NYC store?

    I can't imagine that they love tourists strolling through and getting smudges all over $50k doubles, but i'd really love to stop in someday.

  9. Oh, man...not sure. BUT it's right around the corner from my office. I'll pop by on the way home and report back.

  10. kbd says:

    I noticed the word "knickers" used in the little preview paragraph in the nytimes... um, isn't that women's underwear?