Monday, September 21, 2009

What a Difference a Soap Dish Makes

Going to Home Depot with no particular purpose is like going grocery shopping while ravenous.  Oh, I should pick up some Miracle Grow and dish soap...maybe some tile cleaner...wow, sparkling clean tiles would really look much better with this new faucet...and a white door...with green trim...and a new door knob.  

The door got its treatment the moment I arrived home on June 14...and then came the faucet.  It all seemed so simple -- if the old one would only come off.  Brute force, WD-40, AK-47s wouldn't loosen those plastic nuts holding it in place.   So, I re-hooked the water supply to the old faucet, claiming defeat.  No water.  Greater defeat!  So, instead of doing the recommended thing (calling a plumber), we've been using only hot water from the new chrome version, which flopped, jerry-rigged and forsaken on the left side of the sink for the past three months.  Until Saturday.  Perhaps it was the change of weather or just the cumulative effects of all the brute force, but the nuts popped off and opened the door to bathroom heaven.

Now the chrome/ceramic faucet is in place, spouting hot AND cold water.  It's joined by a soap dish and towel hook from Moon River Chattel, offering my hemp hand towels (also from Moon River Chattel) a nice home from which to hang.

10 comments:

Laura [What I Like] said...

Wow, you are quite the handy lady! Looks fabulous.

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

The soap dish makes me happy.

LPC said...

Ooh those ceramic handles. So fat and juicy.

plaisirs simples said...

LOVE this pic! so old fashioned...absolutely charming

Hollister H. Hovey said...

Thank you all! It feels so nice to be in there now. It's like a microscopic spa. I tried to capture the entire space, but when you only have a foot to navigate, it's hard to, literally, get the full picture!

Daniel-Halifax said...

congratulations!

next time...call me

Natalie Taylor said...

I love your blog! I saw your post on your upcoming trip to Czech Republic and I gave you a bit of an answer and will work on some itineraries for you. Because, its fun! Keep up the great work on your blog and feel free to add me at "Wish You Were Here..."
www.nataliectaylor.blogspot.com

Courtney said...

HOORAY for loose bolts!! Your sink is looking so good -- and even better that it's spouting both hot AND cold water.

MJT said...

This soap dish reminds me of The Lively Set down in the Village...but I'm sure at a 10th of the price. kudos!

Tigeeson said...

Thanks for sharing this article..
used Arizona cars