Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sneak Peek: Against Nature

A first look at my friend and co-New Antiquarian Ryan Matthew's beautiful new Victorian-inspired men's suit/accessory/denim shop, Against Nature.  He picked up these incredible albino peacocks (there's actually a pair) from the same guy who sold me my two fighting swans.

  
A selection of Ryan's baubles.

Various Ryan Matthew bags and totes, the latter of which are made from old mail bags and vintage braided leather belts.

More Ryan Matthew bags and a peek into the dressing room.

Ready-to-wear suits from the Doyle Mueser line from co-owners Amber Doyle and Jake Mueser.  They also offer bespoke services.



A Beauchene baboon skull, disarticulated and mounted by Ryan.



159 Chrystie Street (Between Rivington and Delancey)
Opens to the public on Friday

Photos by Porter Hovey

20 comments:

the snail and the cyclops said...

I'm so excited to finally get a peek into this amazing world Ryan has created, I can't wait to visit!!

And Alice's (forestbound.com) mail bags look so perfect tucked into the rest of his treasures!!

Carolina Eclectic said...

Wow, wow, wow!! May I move in, please?!

Yoli said...

Exquisite shop!

Rose said...

Thanks for posting - this looks amazing. Now I want to dress in mens clothes!

kari beth said...

So incredibly thrilled to have happened upon your blog!!! If NYC was still my stomping ground, I would definitely be checking out Against Nature! Looks incredible.

ABC Dragoo said...

Oh, looks like a great spot! Do you know Stock Vintage on 13th Street between Lafayette and 3rd? If not, and you like this - you must check it out!

Derek Nobbs said...

Amazing! I have got to get to NY.

Rick Platel said...

very nice

Rick Platel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Dan said...

the store looks like a dream. and against nature (a rebours) is a favourite book of mine... i cant wait to stop by/move in!

Dan Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Love love it all, you just don't know how many times I keep coming back to these pics.

Jenny said...

Ooh, I'm reading 'Against Nature' right now. And looking for a new bag....Fate.

Sarah A. said...

holy hell, this store looks incredible! every man needs to take a cue from these wares.

been there done that! said...

Do you idiots really refer to one another as "NEW EQUESTRIANS"? that is wildly gay! your store has the same look and smell as many originals in E.V. & L.E.S
TIRED!

melissa said...

Oooh, thanks for sharing! Looks like an amazing store and I will definitely check it out when I'm in the city next month!

Barnaby said...

a total aside.. they aren't albino peacocks. just a good ol' White Peacock (a variety of the Indian Blue Peacock)

Tigeeson said...

Nice collection .. I like it!
used Arizona cars

Joe said...

Wow this is one of the most creative things I have ever seen. I really enjoyed looking at this Astral Projection

kevin.anchi said...

Great blog! I appreciate the hard work every body is putting in to maintain the website and all the visitors to it, the webmasters are doing great job, thanks again to all the good people.
Free Credit Score