HHH Shopping Guide | Back to School

{1} Nothing inspires detailed note taking more than a lab notebook.  You have the green tint, excellent space for titles and a grid for illustrative charts and insanely anal architect-like penmanship.  Rediform National Lab Computation Notebook, Discount Office Items, $10

{2} Yellow pencils, buy 'em anywhere.  

{3} Dux Precision Pencil Sharpener, Manufactum, EUR 12

{4} One of my best friends in college came to W&L with a Swiss Army (military, not brand) backpack.  She ran into a guy from L.A. with an identical one (the only other person on campus with such a bag) at the poster sale the first week of school.  Now they're married with two kids.  So, military backpacks can be very powerful things.  This used French Bergam Rucksack from RDD USA is $34.90.

{5} You will need a place to put your yellow pencils and Dux precision pencil sharpener: Soldier's Writing Kit, Dixie Leather Works, $27

{6} College football is fun, but there's nothing quite like Friday nights in high school, walking along those hormone-filled bleachers.  You might need a blanket.  Civil war blankets, Regimental Quartermaster, $64.50

{7} My favorite memories of high school actually occurred during grade school when I was a foot taller than all my classmates and I spent my time ogling the high school boys on the bleachers at football games.  They all looked like complete preppy bastards, had hairy legs and all wore nearly destroyed Eastlands with Eastland knots.  I feel pangs of nostalgia every time I see a boat shoe or chukka boot (which means lots of pangs these days).  The Falmouth, Eastland, $80

12 comments

  1. Beautiful, once again. Actually makes me want to return to school. Perfect shopping list.

    Can't wait to see Porter on Mad Men, just know it is to be.

  2. Nikki says:

    I love that backpack story. So sweet. Thanks for the great finds!

  3. Stephanie says:

    I remember boys like that in destroyed Eastland loafers ... careless and jerky and irresistible.

  4. {1}, {3}, and {6}, please!

  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  6. I look forward to these more than you know.

  7. I thought the heading on the pictures was hysterical :)
    xxx

  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  9. Amanda says:

    Oh the Sperry boat shoes, we wore nothing else in 8th grade.
    Great post.

  10. Kenny says:

    You must feel extreeeme nostalgia when you see a Boat Shoe Chukka boot then!

    http://www.freshnessmag.com/2009/08/07/band-of-outsiders-x-sperry-chukka-boot/

  11. I loved my Eastlands! I recently searched for an old pair on eBay, but to no avail. I remember how I could never quite master the knots...

  12. marybrown says:

    Hello HHH. Thanks for the Eastland shoe mention. We appreciate the nod as a classic staple! BTW, if anyone wants instructions on how to tie the Eastland Knot, check out
    http://www.eastlandshoe.com/M37/setcnt/KNOT