Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day Trippin' | Yale (the Revisit)

Porter and I developed a Saturday hankering for a taste of Europe, so we popped up to New Haven to revisit Yale's extraordinary neo-gothic environs.  We loved it when we first visited last year - and it's just as breathtaking the third time around (we popped up for pizza and beer at BAR at a couple weeks ago...and got stuck on the highway for two hours after an alleged tornado blew through Westchester and caused a semi to jackknife.  It was well worth it).

The atrium-style bus stops

The Yale University Art Gallery sculpture "garden"

Humorous stone work over the service entrance to the dining hall

One of Paul Mellon's many wonderful George Stubbs paintings ("Zebra," 1763) at the exceptional Yale Center for British Art
 
Remembering the Yale boys who went to war in the Commons

Details on Porter's outfit: Amish leather suspenders from ebay, boys' shirt from Rugby, tie from J.Press (purchased minutes before at the original location at 262 York Street), Equi Comfort riding pants from Dover Saddlery, shoes and bag, Prada.


Porter, hanging out in Commons Dining Hall, where Yalies eat like they're at Hogwarts.

Entrance to the New Haven City Burial Ground

12 comments:

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

I love Yale - my mum studied art there while I was in college. Many a good memory.

Great outfit, btw - the suspenders and sunglasses are wonderful. I also like to repurpose Dover Saddlery for street clothes ;)

porter hovey said...

The zebra! YES, please!!

sorrentolens said...

Lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky --- duck!! Pizza (Ah-beets - as they say). Like heaven.

Lookin good all around. Glad you had a nice trip.

Paul Pincus said...

that was fun trip!

i could not love george stubbs more. that zebra!

genius post as always, hhh.

porter looks gorgeous.

Dale P.L. Chadwick said...

I love all your Yale shots! Plus I'm particularly fond of the one of Porter in front of the Scroll & Key tomb, I'm a huge fan of secret societies.

Sarah said...

These are great shots! I chuckle at seeing such a beautiful rendition of Commons, where I would go to eat only when desperate, wearing sweats and a sweatshirt and filing among hordes of athletes gathering for their daily group meal.

Marie said...

Great outfit and I tres cool lighting fixture.

hstryk said...

Thanks for showing people why I love my city! The Elm City gets a bad rep most of the time. I was happy to move to a city that reminded me so much of Oxford.

Hollister H. Hovey said...

It's just lovely. And it really does put you in the mood to read and learn and wear proper clothes!

Anna said...

I love these shots! As someone who is constantly looking for a great salon in Brooklyn, can you divulge who cuts your hair?

Hollister H. Hovey said...

We both go to Commune. It's wonderful - and the hair washing experience is like nothing else I've ever felt.

www.communesalon.com

191 Grand St
Brooklyn, NY 11211-4209
(718) 384-7412

porter hovey said...

I would ask for Sheho -- she's amazing!! I've been going for now 3 years!!