Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Corporate Picnic (aka Stating the Obvious)

The corporate work day lunch can become quite depressing.  The gourmet sandwich - composed of very nice, even organic, things - loses a lot of luster when consumed at your desk as you check emails and try not to dribble aioli onto your keyboard.  But buying sandwich ingredients separately and chowing down European style makes the work day feel almost luxurious, like a picnic at Versailles (for someone who had the worst-ever Versailles picnic experience, I suppose).  The thing is, it doesn't really take that much longer to eat your sandwich in bits, it just makes you feel a helluva lot better.  Porter and I did this today with great success (it helps that I work above a fancy schmancy market): Balthazar baguette, mascarpone (from Murray's Cheese), fig spread, sorpressata, prosciutto, sour dough and artichoke hearts. Corporate gluttony at its finest. 

(Another iPhone photo; that little bugger does so well under the fluorescents).

10 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

your picnic looks very good! yummy

DUSKIN said...

heavenly!

Giuseppe said...

I used to work in a gourmet food shop. On the night's when I had the late shift, I would pick up that sort of thing, plus wine, for dinner. Always put me in a good mood.

Anonymous said...

looks like a great treat to me! have you ever looked at thetrad.blogspot.com or throughhornrimglasses.blogspot.com? i just came across these as i clicked the next button at the top of another blog and they look up ur alley! enjoy!

-christina

red ticking said...

when i saw this i had to comment immediately... this is the ULTIMATE.... i love eating this way... especially with these amazing ingredients... thank you for sharing... simple sometimes the best.

A Day That Is Dessert said...

Wish I could have joined you for that lunch!!

I've done entire posts with photos from my iphone (nothing else with me at the time I needed a camera); I continue to be amazed at how well that little phone can take pictures.

Paul Pincus said...

fig spread. yummy!

thebelledecor said...

Love the Rachel Roy

Joanna Goddard said...

i want to go to there.

{this is glamorous} said...

Nice ingrediants, especially the fig spread -- sounds delicious! Sorry to hear about the bad Versailles picnic experience -- funny, had just guest posted about our picnic at Versailles last summer.