Saturday, February 28, 2009

AW09 FW | Holding onto Architecture

There are generally two things I hold true with women's fashion: 1) The aesthetics of the '80s should have ended on 12/31/89 (or, if we'd been lucky, '82) and 2) Small prints and brocades, while sometimes beautiful up close, can turn into a "shade" that should only be seen on a corpse. Too bad the two main themes for fall seem to have been the '80s and the corpse prints.  I'm holding onto architectural tailoring and minimalist glamour.  As always, I've asked two questions: Would this look good in my apartment? and Would this look great in front of a 16th century building?  All these qualified. Above: Gianfranco Ferré.

Karen Walker

Christian Cota

Cushnie et Ochs

Karen Walker

Rachel Roy

Moschino Cheap + Chic

Victoria Beckham (yep, the whole collection was really nice -- and those floors!).

All photos from Style.com

7 comments:

trip said...

Regarding the 80s fashion, there was that post on the Sartorialist last week, I believe, in which he featured a bunch of women with large shoulder pads ("the strong shoulder," as he called it). It was pretty annoying to read all of the commenters gushing over how great they looked since no woman should look like a linebacker.

kk said...

both of those karen walker pieces are perfect.

The Bean said...

AMEN Trip & HH, if someone tries to convince me that shoulder pads are back in style, I'm going to force them to eat one.

Paul Pincus said...

Would this look great in front of a 16th century building?

love that ... and love karen walker.

Scott Fazzini said...

Those Karen Walker pieces are perfect!

A Day That Is Dessert said...

I so agree about the eighties! I never liked the 80s fashions while I lived them. Love your two question criteria.

Laura [What I Like] said...

That Christian Cota suit is so charming!