Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Sale Fit for a Gent!

Oh, what a terrible tragedy to have not been in London today.  Bonhams managed to auction off my entire repertoire of taste in one fell swoop: taxidermy, militaria, Victorian library do-dads, chesterfield couches.  A Gentleman's (er, in my case, Gentlewoman's) Library Sale of the finest!  Almost everything sold, but the catalog should spawn a thousand new ebay searches.  

(The sale included a collection of animal skeletons, fossils, human skulls, butterflies, tusks and other curiosities amassed by Southwold archaeologist and anthropologist, Hubert Dennis Colllings).

A few of my favorite things (all sold!).

(Exhibition photo courtesy The Telegraph. Item images courtesy Bonhams).

Thank you, Toad, for sending me to this brilliant collection!

6 comments:

Laura said...

So fascinating! I love that webbed foot. Very morbid yet cool.

Toad said...

Glad to be of service.

T.A. said...

Nice layout. Those brass steps are outstanding!

theselvedgeyard said...

HH-

your taste level is beyond reproach.

JP

lisa said...

Ironically Curious!
Curiously ironic!

The man in the photo is holding a Narwhal. And all the Narwhal have been withdrawn from the auction.

Could there be a mystery underfoot?

This calls for my tweads and twinset... and a cuppa.

Sir Fopling Flutter said...

I went to Bonhams for the auction. Some amazing things there. (Hollister - I can't believe you didn't include a photo of the stuffed polar bear).

Also some definite bargains, although I was outbid on the few things that I bid on.