Tunes: Uncut's Best of 2008



Boys sweat the small stuff. Their brains were bred to love minutia, be it baseball stats from 1927 or the details of every Stones recording session or all key quotes from the Criterion Collection.  I operate more like a cave woman or a magpie: "Er, that sure is purdy."  I apply the same system to all things: art, clothes, beauty products, food packages...and music.  I did come close to being detail oriented during my cowboy boot days (2001-2003) when I became obsessed over one greasy-haired musician (I certainly knew everyone he'd ever dated and accrued a collection of about 250 bootlegged songs). Uncut Magazine, coincidentally, had a crush on him, too, so I'd practically eat my fist in anticipation of every new issue. I'd do my best to read every, fantastic word, but there were usually too many.  So when my simple-minded tendencies would take over, I'd just enjoy the accompanying CD. The Best of 2008 issue is out now - and these three made it to the top of the pile.  

Above: For Emma (a capella) by Bon Iver (in an apartment building...and then on the streets of Montmartre)



Wonderful Life by the Felice Brothers



Lost Coastlines by Okkervil River

2 comments

  1. Collin says:

    I'm obsessed with the Felice brothers...one of the best albums of 2008 I think

  2. I'm with you on that. It's on repeat...Caroline Herring is wonderful, too.