Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Military Tsar

The grass really is greener on the other side when you live in a land covered in ice.  The V&A is taking its visitors on a 200-year trip through the Russian Royals' wardrobes of mainly French-inspired duds.  Magnificence of the Tsars opens today and runs through March 29.

Above: Coronation uniform of Nicholas I, Russia, 1826.  Wool coat with metal braid.
 
Coronation uniform of Paul I, Russia, 1796. Wool coat and waistcoat, elkskin trousers and felt hat.


Coachman's jacket, Russia, 188-1917

12 comments:

Emerson Merrick said...

Looks like the show would almost justify the plane ticket!

Anonymous said...

Neato find. Ever try hogspear.com? It has tons of stuff like this but from the British Empire.

vicki archer said...

Love a uniform - will definitely go, xv.

Hollister H. Hovey said...

Hogspear is insane! One of the coolest things on the net. What treasures. Like a museum, really.

Paul Pincus said...

so beautiful.

i hope they have published a catalogue!

Neuf Francs said...

So beautiful! You can see how fashion is getting inspiration from uniforms.

Sue said...

Very interesting blog you have. I have been enjoying your Christmas gift ideas. Very nice to meet you.

victoria thorne said...

dad went to west point; husband to annapolis...i love a man in uniform! thanks, hollister, spit-shined as always! five stars, for sure. vt

Homer's Odd Isn't He. said...

Thank God Michael Jackson didn't see this. Fingers crossed of course.

Bart Boehlert said...

Love the V and A.
Some years ago the Brooklyn Museum had an exhibition of jewelry from the tsars - so beautiful! Huge emeralds and diamonds. I was walking around in circles, I couldn't leave.

Your Feathered Friend said...

Oh my, I love the V & A. It is my favorite place to visit in London, and I always come away from it wanting to make something fantastic or learn a new craft.

Emily said...

Hi everyone, I'm Captain Hogspear and i love the uniform you have here. So beautiful. I have had some wonderful new pieces in this year so if you are interested, check out http://www.hogspear.com/