Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Things for Which I Am Thankful: A New Rack at The Bergdorf Sale

I come from a long line of tall ladies.  Well, a couple great grandmothers on my mom's side were short of 5 feet, but my Grandma Vi stretched to about 5'5" and had two daughters who were at least 6 feet (my mom always said she was 5'11 3/4"...odd because she was taller than my 6' dad).  When I was a girl, probably about 7 or 8, mom and auntie took me shoe shopping (they always did this...had to, because I grew out of all my shoes so quickly).  There I relished how my dainty size 6 or 7 foot was nothing like the skis on either of them.  Being so young, I actually brought this up (but also to underscore the lack of struggle I faced in finding shoes, unlike them with their size 11.5s and 12s).  My aunt laughed uproariously, "Just you watch. Your feet will be this size in no time!" I immediately wept and sobbed. Mom and auntie got into a fight. "Why would you tell her something like that?!?!," my mom yelled.  "Because it's her fate!"  Well, it was.  I was 5'9" by 5th grade with feet to match (5'11" by 7th).  So, yesterday, after lunch at 21, I strolled up to Bergdorf's to see the new, incredible holiday windows (more to come on that front) and figured I'd pop in for my usual look-don't-consider trip through the shoe department.  But then I was greeted with two of the world's greatest surprises: A 40% off sale before Christmas...and a big rack of size 12s!  For me it was like walking up to a haystack to find a little bowl of needles all located and set aside.  Chanels! Manolos! Gliding on and fitting like gloves (or shoes that actually fit).  So, I had to splurge.  Got this pair of Guccis, which, for their height, are surprisingly comfy (might have something to do with them actually being my size).

11 comments:

ArchitectDesign said...

those shoes kick ass -great find and 40% off to boot!

parisienish said...

congrads on your to-good-to-be-true find from one tall lady to another...

victoria thorne design said...

adore shoes, can't wait for windows...i miss being in the city always this time of year..."visiting" you is like being there, I suppose, which makes strolling by so heavenly, without fail

vicki archer said...

Gorgeous, divine and fabulous - I cannot believe they were on the sale rack. What a great early Santa present!

Stephanie said...

i love it - a bowl of needles sorted out of the haystack.

this is one nice pair of needles.

Paul Pincus said...

But then I was greeted with two of the world's greatest surprises: A 40% off sale before Christmas...and a big rack of size 12s! For me it was like walking up to a haystack to find a little bowl of needles all located and set aside.

you're insanely brilliant!

A Day That Is Dessert said...

Love those Guccis! Your story makes my size 11 feet want to run all the way there from Seattle!

Bart Boehlert said...

Hi Hollister, I can't really comment on the shoe rack at Bergdorfs, but I think your site is very cool -- love all the antiques. Maybe you would like my blog too:
bartboehlert.blogspot.com

Lark said...

It's good to have feet to match your height so you don't fall over. It's been known to happen.

-V

Courtney said...

I just sighed out loud in awe. I haven't read a thing you've typed yet except "Berdorf Sale"--those are amazing. Cheers to a great find!
-Courtney

[Tara] said...

Um,these are quite possibly the most amazing shoes ever. Lucky!