To Thine Own Apartment Be True

Nothing has given me more consistent fits over the last decade than Sex and the City.  (1) It bastardized feminism into some form of girl power that meant nothing more than being girlish and obsessing over boys and shoes; (2) It inspired a generation of tourists to invade New York to jump on a bus for a roll past Sushi Samba instead of, say, a visit to Hamilton's grave or the site of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory disaster...(3) and then there was Carrie's apartment.  For her character, it was the wrong location, wrong size and the most non-desrcript decor ever captured on film. It's akin to Daphne Guinness stuffing her McQueen gowns into a closet that opens onto a room of Pottery Barn.  It's not about money, it's about personality and the confidence to instill that personality into all your things.  

Artist Herbert Pfostl must be flush with aesthetic confidence.  Fills his dark art with morbid animals and toys...fills his dark studio with morbid animals and toys.  He's found his aesthetic (and it's wonderful) and is running with it.  Thank goodness.  Check out his Paper Graveyard and his flickr stream.




11 comments

  1. lora kee says:

    You have Sex and the City in NYC, I have Bridget Bloody Jones in London. They both have the same message, unless you loose weight, and spend a fortune on shoes you are entirely repellent to men and therefore you must obsess and make it your lifes goal to bag a bloke. Without a bloke you are nothing and it will be just you and your Cosmo/Chardonnay scribbling into your diary/apple mac. O hunless you are Charlotte, who is apparentely every mans favourite. Pass me the St Germain and Gin.....

  2. Don't forget the SITC punch line - if you let him treat you badly long enough, he'll "change" and marry you! Hooray! The ultimate reward.

    Hollister - this post is why I come every day. Your eye is unmatched.

  3. Miss Hovey, where do you find these gems? This is divine

  4. k says:

    it is no wonder really, as sitc is created and written by a gay guy. Nobody understands the essence of women like gay men. (rolls eyes)

  5. just spent 63 minutes over @ paper graveyard!

    truly incredible and devastating work.

    loved it. thank you for the intro : )

  6. That's the best first paragraph of a blog ever written! I'm glad that I'm too busy now to obsess over boys and shoes...or at least not as much.

  7. Toad says:

    Another version of taste, money and creativity

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/16-10/ff_walker?currentPage=all

  8. I am glad I left New York before the SATC tours took over, but watching it from Georgia always made me miss the city. Visiting now, I see the impact that show has made. Perhaps the economy will force New York back to it's 1970's, Calcutta-esque, Annie Hall era, former glory.

  9. I only discovered your blog a few days and was instantly smitten, but this post has me reeling! Thank you so much for linking to this, it's right up my street.

    And I'm so with you on the SatC thing- it's made me gag from day 1.

  10. Amanda says:

    I second you on the SATC bastardizing feminism thing. I once wrote a paper about it for a philosophy class and could feel a few glares piercing the back of my head as I read it out loud from my seat. I ran for dear life once class got out for fear of getting a beat-down from a woman with an oversized Gucci bag.

    Oddly enough, I found the show to be rather addicting...