Dollars and Scents

In order to properly celebrate the arrival of decent fall temperatures and all the excitement of the week (and passive voice writing, apparently), I popped up to Barney's to pick up my first Diptyque Feu de Bois candle of the chilly season.  Apparently not enough of a celebratory treat, I immediately talked myself into a bottle of $195 perfume (above).  I really couldn't help myself, though.  The great font! A Swedish brand! An elixir that will make me smell like a sexy fireplace! I was a gonner.  Ben Gorham, tattooed guy behind the five-scent Byredo Parfums line, named Chembur after the town near Mumbai where his mom grew up. The notes include bergamot, lemon, alemi, ginger, temple incense, nutmeg, labdanum, amber and musk.  All that or just a sexy fireplace.  Besides Barney's, you can pick it up at Cow Parfymeri Stockholm, Les Senteurs London and Colette Paris.  

(Photo by Porter Hovey)

7 comments

  1. mamacita says:

    Nutmeg -- oh! my weakness.

  2. josephine says:

    i like to treat myself to candles and perfume, too. i'm especially looking forward to switching to warmer scents for fall.

  3. You have me convinced. I will have to look out for that one.

  4. Lecia says:

    I just read about your blog in NYTimes - love it! Your comment about the font - LOL - I'm the same way...
    Cheers.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. it's baies noires year-round for us. i still feel strongly about essence of john galliano...which is so much better than it sounds : ) thanks to Hollister Hovey, i feel inspired to try feu de bois.

    the perfume bottle is gorgeous. $195! yikes! i think i'll put that towards my next baas' clay chair and stick with trumper's extract of limes after shave...it reminds me of being 7 years old and living in mandeville, jamaica.

    really fun post. cheers!!!

  7. Baies noires and the Galliano are wonderful -- and very much in the same vein as the Feu. It really does make it smell like you've got a roaring fire going. Instant coziness. And the wax is a odd color of grey that I like. And yes, I'm a lunatic to spend $200 on a small bottle of alcohol. A sucker for fonts to the core :)