Friday, March 14, 2008

Steve McQueen Chic: Ateliers Ruby Helmets


After a heated bidding war, my honey colored Brooks Saddle now has an appropriate stand: a 1968 brown Raleigh folding bike. Given my gripping obsession with instant gratification, I insisted on picking it up the next day, so I trekked up to 142nd and Malcolm X Blvd on Wednesday wearing my work costume: cuffed pants, pinstriped sweater jacket over a blue poplin button down, Opening Ceremony trapese jacket with short sleeves, my new brown velvet tuxedo shoes with stag head crests from Rugby (sans socks) and my green Goyard clutch. They say you never forget how to ride a bike, well, after not going near a non-stationary one in over a decade, you sort of do -- especially while trying to protect a strapless purse and new velvet shoes. I could've used one of these Ateliers Ruby helmets on the seven block kamakazi ride back to the subway station. Many thanks to The Cool Hunter for pointing these French beauties out. You may have saved this blogger's life!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

The white one reminds me of what the hero in Speed Racer (cartoon) wore!
Go Speed!!!

Anonymous said...

hey!! i just got a white one from www.exclusivehelmets.com for that very reason!