Creations: Vintage Baseball-Themed Invites



My mom always went above and beyond with invitations.  She worked at Hallmark, but never would settle for ready-mades.  She sent out vintage 45s with special labels for my '50s-themed 7th birthday party.  The grandness of the invites told the guests (well, their parents), that we meant business.  All moms of the girls in my class commissioned custom-made poodle skirts for their daughters and the boys showed up in pint-sized greaser leather jackets.  A similar story for my western party the next year and cooking party the next.  So, when I was commissioned to design the invitations for a baseball-themed bar mitzvah, I took my mom's mantra to heart and went for an object -- a baseball.  The real, leather Rawlings ball includes the logo and the date of the event.  The box, based on an old vintage baseball box design, has all the party information.  The RSVP cards are meant to look like old tickets. For the baseball cards, which will serve as the thank you notes, I painted the boy's portrait in watercolor and designed the card around it.  The most painful part -- cutting out all those squares with rounded corners!  All in all, it was about 600 pieces.

1 comments

  1. Beth says:

    wow, these invitations are outstanding & I would love some more info. I am having my son's Bar Mitzvah and it is an "old time" baseball theme. The invitation would be perfect.